Here are things I wanted to add to various posts from the year, but which don’t warrant their own new post. A sampling of PSes for you:
- Re these brownies — you can make them with 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract and mint chocolate chips and look, seasonal!
- Still running. Still dark, and now cold. Help.
- My first semester as a co op art teacher ended well, even though the students are merciless about my inability to draw (also to write on the marker board). I learned a lot from the “real” art teachers I helped in the other classes, and loved connecting church art history projects with books.
- More roasted garlic butter for Christmas, but next year, I’m tempted to try slow cooker bacon jam. I’m definitely not settled on a trademark food yet. (As I type this, the mail lady just dropped off J’s grandaddy and grandma’s famous homemade fudge. Man. Is fudge hard to make? That should totally be my thing.)
- Starting around Thanksgiving, Pippin finally started going gently into the good night of preschool drop off. It feels like a natural and expected part of our week now, but I’m still not quite ready to say we are doing formal preschool again next year.
- This winter, I’m pretty much back to my jeans uniform of auld lang syne, straddling that place where we are starting to wean and I’m about to gain ten pounds. (Eep.) But I’ve got a few beautiful skirts that work their way into rotation, and help on the days everything is too big or too small.
- The garden trundles on. This fall I’ve killed three mums, some hanging plant I never IDed but which is apparently susceptible to frost, the mini rose, which J mowed over, and the Solomon’s Seal, which I left out of the ground too long, I think. Still, I’ve started green onions and mint growing in the windowsill, so it’s not just a slaughterhouse around here. My ambition is small, but I have laid down black plastic to kill some grass and start a tiny herb and tomato garden next spring.
- I have developed mixed feelings about loveys after Scout lost her Oswald for 48 hours in the local Walmart and refused to accepted Imposter Oswald, who I spent $35 (!!!) to replace on eBay. Proceed with caution, folks.
- Naps are still mostly working here, although the other day I found Pippin hiding under the couch instead of in bed. Syncing their naps (or quiet times, eventually) may be the best thing I’ve done for my mama sanity — ever.
- We made space in our British costume drama rotation to watch the (mostly despicable) Gilmore Girls reboot, but didn’t you just love The Crown? (Check out Dominika’s thoughts over at her blog.) I’m behind on Poldark and hoping they release it to Amazon Prime soon so I can catch up…
- The curls rage on and are still one of my favorite things in the whole wide world. Don’t tell me her hair will straighten out as she grows up. It will ruin our friendship.
- Motherhood and the Redemption of the Body is still my most popular post of 2016. Peak early, I guess. (And befriend fellow literary nerds in high school so they can promote your posts a decade or so later.)
- I still feel weird about weaning, but I’m starting to move toward closing up shop when we are done with the holidays and travel. I worry a lot about how I’d handle nursing while pregnant, and so I’d like to send Scout out into the world before there is someone else to contend with.