What is a commonplace book? For me, this is a space where I post interesting links, reflections on what I’m reading, and the newest recipes I’ve been trying out — a collection of miscellaneous micro-posts.
What I’m fixing:
- Crispy Asian Brussels Sprouts, which have turned at least one brussels-hater into a brussels sprouts fangirl.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes with Bacon. And I used duck fat instead of olive oil because Pippin’s godparents and my godson visiting from New England made it a feast. (Would the youth say “YOLO” here?)
- Uncle Jack’s Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese. Because what else would you bring to a potluck featuring pot roast? Nothing else, that’s what. Because we all brought mac and cheese, as it turns out, and the college students graciously et it all.
- Daddy Brownies for a baby shower I’m throwing tomorrow. I don’t have time to type up the recipe at the moment, but it may be the best thing my family makes.
What I’m reading:
- A Mother’s Act of Contrition (h/t Haley) —just, yes.
- The Kitchens of the Great Midwest — The verdict’s still out. It isn’t love at first sight, but I’m giving the audiobook time as I wander around the house tidying up. UPDATE: the third narrator veers unexpectedly into the profane. I’m interested in how everything turns out but I think I’m going to abandon this book.
- The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend – trying again for a new audiobook for running. Let’s see.