It’s still hot and we’re still without AC but lately when I’ve been out with the kids, especially in the morning, there’s been the whisperiest hint of autumn in the air (and we all know the sweetest winds, they blow across the South).
Color me excited. New England autumn used to fill me with dread, but here in the Shenandoah Valley I can embrace the season without fear for coming winter. Here are a few of the things I’m most looking forward to:
- Hot tea
- Baked granola and ciabatta bread and roasted vegetables when I can use our oven with impunity
- Not shaving (sorry)
- Wearing a hat when my hair is dirty and pretending it’s because I want to wear a hat and not that my hair is dirty (my secret is out, sorry again)
- The start of preschool (this fills me with a mix of excitement and dread so in traditional Grimm fashion I’m eager just to get it over with)
- Seeing friends back in western Mass when fall is still beautiful and not yet ominous
- Blooming ageratum (Does it even in grow in Virginia? I’ll have to pay more attention this year.)
- Maple leaves, 4eva
- Less sweating
- Open curtains. This summer I’ve been a responsible citizen and mostly kept the shades down to keep the house cooler. But I didn’t escape basement living for nothing.
- A visit from my parents, and a visit from my sister.
- Taking pictures of Pippin with leaves, because that’s apparently a thing I like to do a lot.
How about you?